Monday, January 24, 2011

Baby Kaleb - Shaken Baby Syndrome Survivor...

.
In May 2007 .... one of the worst nightmares a parent could have happened to one couple....  Their beloved son, Kaleb, who was their pride and joy, was hurt by the person they trusted to take care of him.  
If you aren't familiar with the story...  here is the story ...  (this is copied from a website

As told to me by Kristy.  Forgive me if any details are incorrect. 

Like any responsible parents, Kristy and Josh Schwade wanted what was best for their only child, Kaleb.  They did a background check on their day care worker, and even interviewed her in her home for two hours.  Kristy was even willing to drive 20 miles out of her way to provide, what they thought to have been, "optimum" care in a good neighborhood. 

On May 9th, 2007 their worst nighmare was brought to fruition.  After being in the care of this home day care worker only five times, Kaleb was picked up by his Grandmother and Aunt.  They noticed that he was lethargic and experiencing obvious breathing abnormalities.  The caregiver told them he was ill, but Kaleb had just visited the doctors the day before and was given a "clean bill of health".  When Kristy arrived at her mother's home to pick Kaleb up, she described him as "having no life in his body".  She tried repeatedly to wake him, but with no avail.  She and her father got in the car and rushed to the hospital.  While in the vehicle, Kristy lifted Kaleb's little eyelids.  She noticed that his pupils were different sizes.  Being the wife of an EMT, she knew immediately that this was the sign of a head injury- Kaleb needed IMMEDIATE care.  They stopped at the nearest firestation.  The ambulance took him to the nearest hospital, and he was classified as a "trauma alert".  He was then life-flighted to Tampa General Hospital, and was admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU).  He was diagnosed as having Shaken Baby Syndrome.  They also discovered that he had been SMOTHERED! 

Kristy is not currently working, and she and Josh spend every possible moment by their young son's side.  Medical bills, cost of gas, lawyer fees (I assume they will begin building), and general living expenses are mounting. 

When something happens to your child, your world STOPS.  Suddenly it doesn't matter that your "roots" are growing out and you are getting split ends.  It doesn't matter that your neighbor is parking his dumpy car in your parking spot.  You no longer care that someone cut you off on the highway, or that someone jumps infront of you in line at the grocery store.  Nothing else matters but your child.

Kaleb is their world.  The doctors. The PICU.  It's all that matters now. 

This family is not asking for anything other than your prayers.   

This situation has become widespread because a friend of Kristy's decided to forward her bulletin asking people to pray for the family.  PLEASE support them by spreading the word about this page.  The more people who are aware, the more people who have the opportunity to bless this family. 

Thank you for viewing this page, and for supporting Kaleb and his family. 

Oh, and many of you have been concerned whether or not the sitter has been charged.  YES charges have been pressed, but she is currently out of jail on a $5,000 bond. 

Below is Kristy's original bulletin posted shortly after the incident. 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hello everyone...

I write you this message in grief in faith.

My son Kaleb was rushed by ambulance to the emergency room on Wed. after we picked him up from the babysitters house. At UCH they determined that Kaleb had a SubDural Hematoma (His brain is bleeding). He then was Bayflighted (helicopter) to Tampa General Hospitals Pediatric Intensive Care Unit on a Trauma Alert.

Doctors determined that Kaleb was shaken while at the homecare he goes to. He is suffering from Shaking Baby Syndrome.

When we first arrived at the hospital they put a pressure gage into his head to moniter the Intercranial Pressure (The pressure that the brain is under due to swelling and Bleeding). He wasn't doing too well all day yesterday, his pressure in his head was ranging between 29-40 and the normal pressure is between 5-20. So doctors decided that the best thing to do was to put a tube into his brain to drain spinal fluid from his ventricle. This procedure was a sucess and brought the pressure down.

Today however, they did a Cat Scan and saw that Kaleb is now suffering from a stroke and has formed a new bleed in the brain.

I believe in Miralcles! I believe that prayer works. I am asking you, all of my friends, whether you know me well or not to PLEASE pray for my little boy Kaleb. He needs a miracle and we need your help!

I know some of you may not believe in God... But he exists! And he's already performed one miracle. Please I ask you, I beg you, to Pray for my little boy and my family. He is my everything

 *********
 I followed the story closely, writing Kristy several times....  My heart broke for them, I had just had Nathan right before this happened...  and I prayed a lot for that little boy.  I was excited on the good days, and worried and sad on the bad days, praying all the while.  


The babysitter finally ADMITTED to what she did to Kaleb, and it was finally all over in June 2010.   Ex-Day Care Worker Pleads Guilty In Shaken-Baby Case ....


Tonight - however ....  just a few hours ago.........  Kaleb became an Angel.  


Kaleb's story touched so many people, touched so many lives....  grabbed so many hearts...  on Myspace and Cafemom....  and anyone who heard the story....  


Kaleb feels no more pain, but his poor parents are missing him greatly.    Kristy posted this on her Myspace: 

Kaleb's last update.

First off I would like to say thank you for all of your prayers throughout the years. 

Kaleb went to heaven today at 5:08pm. He is now an angel and has been given the strength to walk and run and play with the other children angels. His death was very quick and he seemed very comfortable. I cannot express the gratitude for all of you and your support throughout the years. We find peace knowing that Kaleb is in heaven with Jesus and feels no pain. 

Thank You





Here is a WONDERFUL interview done with Kristy August 2010 (the above picture was shared there) ....  


The first picture I shared, was taken from Kristy's Myspace - from one of their fundraising events....... I thought, it was fitting. 

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.


Kaleb - I hope that you are running and laughing and talking up a storm!  Enjoy Heaven baby boy!!  You touched so many lives!!

3 comments:

Linnea said...

No No No NO No No NO! NO fair! Man! I had heard about the story when it broke. I had his picture on my fridge and prayed for him daily. Then I moved and forgot, oh how I feel so bad. Then I heard he had a brother and that was the last I heard. Oh I am so sorry for the loss the of this beautiful boy and will pray and ask for prayer for this family.

Be blessed
AShlee

Hgh Supplements said...

That is very sweet poem, as it is determining the truth. That is very interesting story of the Kaleb. As kleb family is missing them a lot. And This situation has become widespread because a friend of Kristy's decided to forward her bulletin.

Unknown said...

I actually spoke with Kristy a few times. My son isn't much older than Kaleb and was also shaken by a caregiver, and we lived just an hour's drive from the Schwade family then. I haven't had a chance to speak with them in the last few years, and my heart is just breaking now reading about little Kaleb passing.

I hope he's running and jumping and healed in The Great Beyond.