Friday, May 8, 2009

How to give .... a 2 Year Old a Pill!

Step 1: One tired Mommy who hasn't brushed her hair yet... cuz... NOT brushing the hair is A KEY PART of this all getting pulled off...


Step 2: Locate pills ... another VERY important part!

Step 3: He only needs a half a pill (not a full one) .. this involves a knife, but since I did a couple of pills yesterday, I didn't need to do that today ... on day 2 of his thyroid meds ... so I just got an already cut 1/2 pill out of the bottle, and put the rest back of course.
Step 4: Then you crush the pills (I use two spoons) but I forgot to take a picture of that step - oops! So pretend it magically happened!

Step 5: Locate SECRET WEAPON... Sugar!! I mean no kid can pass it up, right?? Well, you haven't met Nathan yet - but this, he'll do - cuz it worked yesterday... let's hope!

Step 6: Mix SECRET WEAPON and magically crushed pills together on unsuspecting finger ...

Step 7: Locate 2 yr old toddler who is in his spot where he doesn't move from in the morning until he is darn good and ready - he's hard to find ya know ... what he is saying in this picture is WOMAN - GET OUT OF THE WAY - MY BLUES CLUES IS ON!

Step 8: Shove unsuspecting finger in said toddler's mouth... (notice his Picasso all over the walls! Yeah! We're not even going to BOTHER with it until he stops, then we are going to repaint the walls) He is mildly distracted by my unbrushed hair, and slightly scared ... yeah - see I told you it was a key part.

Step 9: Wait for acceptance or spitting (which may or may not be followed up by vomit) ...
YAY!! Acceptance... he's still thinking WOMAN GET OUT OF THE WAY MY BLUES CLUES IS ON!
Step 10: Letting him tell Daddy all about how Mommy with her scary hair shoved her finger in my mouth with something on it while I was innocently watching Blues Clues and minding my own business, she wouldn't give me my milk, and did I mention she had scary hair? Daddy just hold me.... while Daddy falls back to sleep.

AND THAT IS HOW YOU GIVE A TWO YEAR OLD A PILL !!!
If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be interested in hearing them! Just incase we need to change it up a bit, which I'm sure we'll have to - at some point!

18 comments:

kristi said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwww.............great job! (he looks so tiny there with his daddy!)

Fat Chick said...

Excellent tutorial!

My mom used to crush the pill between 2 spoons, then add maple syrup. I loved the noise the pill made when she crushed it.

Melissa said...

wow! You do this everyday? My daughter has to drink this medicine and there is one she doesn't like. It's the third day we have been giving it to her, I think one of these days, she will spit it on me. Maybe I'll follow your advice and add some secret weapon to it.

COUNTRY MOM said...

I have had to crush pills between 2spoons and then I add liquid to it, like a drink mix or water and suck it up in a syringe and give it to them. They have taken it good that way, the icing is a great idea.

Crystal Escobar said...

haha, smart!
And I can't believe how YOUNG you look :)

Grace said...

The frosting is genius!

Rachel said...

Aaaaw! My dad used to put the pill inside a banana. It doesn't help, because as soon as I eat it, I throw it all out!

Stopping by from SITS!

Unknown said...

My son takes his allergy meds in cottage cheese. He loves cottage cheese.

CK said...

lol... this was actually really instructional seeing that I have a 1 yr old and a just turned 3 yr old

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

My mom used to crush mine up in peanut butter.


Congrats on your SITS day.

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

Stopping by from SITS. YOur method sure beats mine. I usually have to sit on my screaming two year old, pry open her mouth, and shove in the meds. Not pretty! I'm trying icing next. :)

LisaDay said...

Hee, hee. I think distraction and fear seemed to work well.

LisaDay

Marie said...

I only have a dog and I just pop open his mouth and reach down his throat and drop it in, it always works and I am soooo quick my dog doesn't even realize it, ha!

Carrie said...

EXCELLENT tip! *makes mental note*

Visiting from SITS through your SITS day post :)

Stefanie said...

Well done. Brilliant actually. How do I have teenagers and this never occurred to me?

Date Girl said...

My mom used to put them in my applesauce when I was a kid. I think frosting sounds better!

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

That's a great way to get him to take his pill. Who can resist frosting?

Happy SITS Day!

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

JoJo said...

Haha Love it!