Wednesday, May 30, 2012

After Nathan's Cleft Palate Surgery - Day 1

.
After Nathan's Cleft Palate Surgery - Day 1

So Saturday morning he woke up in his little dinky room. I didn't go to sleep until 4am and the Dr. came in at 7:30 and woke us both up.  He said (after exam) that everything looked good, his mouth & was still pretty swollen ... which was to be expected.

He had a rough night ... well....  actually he didn't, I did..... he was snoring (which he does anyway) and he ws making these super funny noises but I kept watching his stats and I knew that he was fine, his oxygen level never got remotely bad.  

After the Dr. left, all the wanted to do was play on Nana's tablet she let us barrow. 
When breakfast came he ate a little less than half a pancake.... but he wouldn't drink much .....
I tried to get him interested in all the fun stuff we had ...  no interest..... not even PLAYDOH or BUBBLES would get him out of his funk
Only thing he was interested in was the tablet and his glowing red toe.,.....
This..... is his WHOLE ROOM ......
I took a trip up to the Gift Shop....I came back with a monkey, a dino balloon and two light up dinosaurs.  I was walking around the gift shop.... pondering...  wondering......  and I heard some lady come in and go "Do you still have those light up dinosaurs?" and my head snapped....  Light up dinosaurs?  That's right up Nathan's alley ..... so I got him a pink triceratops ... and a blue t-rex...
HE LOOOOOOOOOOOVED THEM....
He also got a t-rex balloon.....
He loved the monkey :)
Nathan's name outside his room...we had the BEST nurse down here too and was sorry to not be under her care anymore.... 
He got two orange popsicles - that's all he ate.  Not much....
and he doesn't care much....

NEW ROOM!!!!  First thing he does is pretzel himself in his bed, and when I tried to fix it he would put it right back...
Look, he's playing something other than youtube!!!
milk, popsicles, jello, soda, noodles w/ cheese.....  plus Nathan = NOT INTERESTED
So I looked out the window at one point and saw this "snow storm" going on ... only - it wasn't snow....... it was pollen .... 

Here is a video of it....




Some things that struck me as funny ....    it says "DO NOT DRINK" on the side of it.   Also says "wear gloves" and "not for patient use" ...  and these were ALL OVER ...
Fall Risk sign....   not sure if this meant he was - or if it was there for people who had it so they could put it on the door.....
Of course washing/gelling hands reminders are all over....
Nathan has a lot more space in this room, a bigger bed....  even though we have a roommate...
my half of the room ....  something more than a chair to sleep on....
This is what Nathan did....  I couldn't get it away from him....
This is a video of him that night......  he was very uncomfortable, he wasn't due for any meds....  my mission, to calm him down...

After I stopped taping the video, I broke out some stuff....  his toys that lite up and his Ladybug Glow Glasses....they ARE AWESOME!!!  And apparently not easy to find!  I went to find a website with them on, and hook ya'll up ....  and couldn't find one.  I looked up bug glow stick mask (first I looked up bug glow stick glasses) ...  and found nothing - well... I did find one thing.  This pair on ebay - that's it.  I *think* the dollar store must have sold them.  We got them because the local Autism Awareness chapter camps out outside of the grocery store that I go to....  and I got a couple of these from donating money.  They usually end up giving Nathan free stuff because he has Autism.  LOL....  anyway - you'll see the BEE ONES in the next entry .....  the ONLY complaint I have about them - is they squish the nose down flat.  So I actually cut the bee ones so that there wasn't so much pressure on his nose. 
So he had his Princess Wand and his light globe thingy ....  and he just lite himself up for awhile....   next thing I know......... I think he just needed the sensory input....
He was asleep .......
With everything still in his hands..
So I managed to get everything pried out of his little hands.... and he was asleep for the night. 

Our roomate ended up being the family across the hall from me down in the observation area... they had come in super late Friday night and had been waiting all day for her son to go through surgery.  They had been at a park on Friday and he was on one of those wooden uneven bridges and he ended up falling ..........breaking his arm pretty bad.  It was funny because the wonderful nurse we had in the Observation Area had come into our room and said something about him being NPO ... and I said "um, no, he's on soft food" and she was looking at her notes and she goes "Oh I am wrong, sorry - we have two of you who have weird disorders ...  yours is RSS and his is RTS ... "  Well, after overhearing a few things like - he's 5 because they were talking about 5 year shots and if there were any ....  and the way he was babbling and not talking ...  I realized, he's got something going on.  So after the mom (she's a single mom with a supportive boyfriend and baby daddy drama, from what I gathered) .... so I had asked her.  We were talking while she was waiting for him to come up from surgery. He had to have a crazy long surgery because they took him down about 5pm (after putting off his surgery all day) and he didn't come up until about midnight....  They ended up going home that night....  but it was nice getting to know her.

The nurse on that side - after they left - says to me "Sorry but someone is going to come in here to clean and the bed is already taken" or something like that.  I told her that was fine....  so we ended up getting a new roommate at about 2am ....   another boy with a broken arm ...

And on a last note, we could already hear a difference in his voice.  

No comments: